Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Blue is the Warmest Colour Review



I really enjoyed this book, but if you are looking for a happy-go-lucky read, don't read this now.
It immediately tells you what happens, although you don't know how. In fact, I had assumed wrong.

Art wise: I like how some panels are just art, movements, without the need for words. I like how when there is loneliness, there is a blank in the page. I like the prominence of colours, especially blue. I also like the font, it seems so personal.

The script: was fantastic, most characters, especially Emma and Valentin, know what they are talking about. You can easily memorize some quotes as comebacks for real life.

Plot wise: This is a coming of age story but goes beyond that. The discovering of sexuality and acceptance is so point on for many people. I liked how Maroh showed prejudice within the queer community, how simply because you are young, inexperienced and look a certain way, you are labeled as straight. Was what happened later, a case of loneliness, wanting children, or a case of self-predicting future? Emma is Clementine's first in many things and I think it could be said also the other way. They both change. The quotes on love, were spot on. This story also shows how some people can helps us to accept ourselves, and how some others are so influential that even if we fight against it, their opinion is ingrain in our minds. They had to mature so quickly, it was painful to see.

characters: I liked how some were flawed. There were reconciliations and not. It's real, cause they are not perfect. I  think, even more than Emma or Clementine, I liked Valentin. Everyone needs someone like that in their lives.

This graphic novel made me cry, but I'm glad I read it. Be careful, it could be triggering to some people.

I also put up a video review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q00mMr7imFs
my goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/21468880-marthese-formosa
my twitter: mew_mar
my youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/mewmar

No comments:

Post a Comment